This hamster bath house / giant bath tub was made with leftover wood dowels, popsicle sticks, and part of an old gift box. Since it’s mostly wood and cardboard, it’s not so bad if the hamster chews on it. Plus it’s much bigger and a hamster would have to kick the sand pretty high to get them out. It’s easy to build, requires few materials and took me only twenty minutes at most.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Some readers have reported hamsters getting their legs stuck between the popsicle stick wall. To prevent this from happening, please build the bath house with sticks placed horizontally (unlike the photo above which shows the sticks placed in a vertical position)
Materials needed for DIY Hamster Bath House
- Base: cardboard box or old gift box
I used the cover of an old gift box to make the base. You want something that’s hard enough, so use anything that’s made from cardboard or harder. Old plastic containers would probably be fine too.
- Wall: ice-cream or popsicle sticks
These will form the wall around your base and prevent the sand from getting kicked out.
- Entrance: wood dowels, or cut-up popsicle sticks
I used the leftover wood dowels from the DIY hamster platform but you could cut up popsicle sticks for the entrance too. We want the entrance to be a little lower so your hamster can get in easily.
- PVA glue to stick everything together
Instructions for DIY Hamster Bath House
- Glue popsicle sticks to the sides and back of the base to form walls.
- On the front of the base, leave enough space for an entrance and glue the popsicle sticks on both sides of the entrance
- Glue the wood dowels or cut-up popsicle sticks to make an entrance that’s a little lower than the rest of the popsicle stick wall
- Decorate your bath tub and fill with sand
That’s it! If you wanted to, you could probably add a roof or even convert this into a hamster house.
If you’ve enjoyed the tutorial, please help us spread the word by sharing this with your friends. And if you have any comments or questions, feel free to leave a message below. Thank you!